[Freedos-devel] Would someone help me with my subscription ?
Jose Antonio Senna
2017-06-11 22:27:48 UTC
I received this message, which seems genuine:

https://sourceforge.net/mailman/reconfirm?
> confirm=334f9332-3587-4c1b-97f5-c1845985b49e
> &email=jassenna%40vivointernetdiscada.com.br
>
> Thanks,
> The SourceForge Team
> A Slashdot Media Company

I followed the link, filled the subscription confirmation form
on the page and submitted it, then receivng the apge back
with the remark:

> Form security (reCAPTCHA) missing, please submit again

Nowhere on the original page there was a captcha field.

This looks like another contrivance to keep out users of old browsers.
( I am using Firefox 2.0.20 for Windows98)

Would someone with admin clearance in these lists
please keep me subscribed ?

JAS
Robert Riebisch
2017-06-12 19:34:44 UTC
Hi Jose,

> I received this message, which seems genuine:
>
>> From: "SourceForge.net" <***@slashdotmedia.com>
>> To: <***@vivointernetdiscada.com.br>

I got a similar message on Saturday.

>> Form security (reCAPTCHA) missing, please submit again
>
> Nowhere on the original page there was a captcha field.

reCAPTCHA opens a pop-up, where you have to selected from a 4x4 (?) set
of images, e. g., all images showing a bus, or a tree. You get it...

> This looks like another contrivance to keep out users of old browsers.
> ( I am using Firefox 2.0.20 for Windows98)

Worked fine here for me on XP using Chrome 49 or Firefox 50.

Robert Riebisch
--
+++ BTTR Software +++
Home page: http://www.bttr-software.de/
DOS ain't dead: http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/
Jim Hall
2017-06-12 20:26:18 UTC
[..]
>> Nowhere on the original page there was a captcha field.
>
> reCAPTCHA opens a pop-up, where you have to selected from a 4x4 (?) set
> of images, e. g., all images showing a bus, or a tree. You get it...
>
>> This looks like another contrivance to keep out users of old browsers.
>> ( I am using Firefox 2.0.20 for Windows98)
>
> Worked fine here for me on XP using Chrome 49 or Firefox 50.

reCAPTCHA is heavy javascript. I think the limiting factor isn't the
browser per-se, but the level of javascript support in your browser,
and if you have javascript turned on. Some folks opt to disable
javascript, so Jose might also check he has javascript turned on.

Sites that use reCAPTCHA can opt to enable a mode that will work on
browsers without javascript, but site admins (i.e. SourceForge) have
to take an extra step to make that happen. I haven't looked at the
SourceForge page's HTML code, but maybe they didn't take that extra
step.
https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/faq#does-recaptcha-support-users-that-dont-have-javascript-enabled
Ralf Quint
2017-06-13 04:49:17 UTC
On 6/12/2017 12:34 PM, Robert Riebisch wrote:

>>> Form security (reCAPTCHA) missing, please submit again
>> Nowhere on the original page there was a captcha field.
> reCAPTCHA opens a pop-up, where you have to selected from a 4x4 (?) set
> of images, e. g., all images showing a bus, or a tree. You get it...
As he stated, there is no Captcha dialog anywhere along that way, there
is just a (couple of) error message(s) about it popping up.

Ralf

---
Robert Riebisch
2017-06-13 19:02:27 UTC
Hi Ralf Quint,

>>> Nowhere on the original page there was a captcha field.
>> reCAPTCHA opens a pop-up, where you have to selected from a 4x4 (?) set
>> of images, e. g., all images showing a bus, or a tree. You get it...
> As he stated, there is no Captcha dialog anywhere along that way, there
> is just a (couple of) error message(s) about it popping up.

I know. I just wanted to tell him, what "normally" happens. ;-)

Robert Riebisch