Packet drivers/Automatic setup
Blair Campbell
2005-07-26 06:35:39 UTC
Hi. I am requesting that everyone with a little spare time and a PCI
network card that works with a clearly redistributable packet driver
(in the licence, like a crynwr packet driver), to email me their
PCIsleep output and either tell me what driver it works with if it is
in the crynwr packet driver collection, or e-mail me the driver if it
is not, but it is clearly redistributable according to its licence.

This will help me to add netcard autosetup to my FreeDOS installation
CD, and may make it easier for users to set up their DOS on the
internet.

Thanks,

Blair Campbell
Alain
2005-07-26 15:18:03 UTC
Hi Blair,

I have been using drivers for: Realtek RT8139, Surecom EP-320-S (Chip
BC001), Via VT6103/VT6105 (VT6103 driver), Davicom DM9102, AMDteck AN983
and PcChips SiS900. These are all the boards that I found here in
Brazil, Only Surecomm BC001 is disapearing.

There is only one that I miss: for MotherBoard that come Intel Chipset
and on board driver.

All them from the disquete that comes with the board. I didn't use any
crynwr drivers. I don't know if these are redistributables, but they
only work with each particular board...

Note that the SiS900 is the only one with different command line parameters.

I hope this helps,
Alain
Robert Riebisch
2005-07-26 16:08:07 UTC
Why? ;-)
Alain
2005-07-26 17:24:52 UTC
Post by Robert Riebisch
Post by Alain
There is only one that I miss: for MotherBoard that come Intel Chipset
and on board driver.
Why? ;-)
I use packet drivers in user machines. In some situations I have to
disable the internal NIC and insert an off-board NIC. It would be much
better to use the on-board one :)
Blair Campbell
2005-07-28 21:54:57 UTC
Post by Alain
I have been using drivers for: Realtek RT8139, Surecom EP-320-S (Chip
BC001), Via VT6103/VT6105 (VT6103 driver), Davicom DM9102, AMDteck AN983
and PcChips SiS900. These are all the boards that I found here in
Brazil, Only Surecomm BC001 is disapearing.
Please send me the PCIsleep output for these cards, and I'll see about
whether the drivers are redistributable.
Alain
2005-07-28 22:21:09 UTC
Hi Blair,

What is it that you realy want? I tested one machine (I can the others
but it will take some work) and I got:

00.04 [1039:0900] 0200 SiS LAN / Ethernet [D1,D3]

This is an onbard SiS900 LAN, What part of the info you want?

How can this help to know if the drivers are redistributable? If you
want the drivers, I can send tehm, that is easy, I just have to make a
Zip...

Alain
Blair Campbell
2005-07-28 22:39:52 UTC
Post by Alain
00.04 [1039:0900] 0200 SiS LAN / Ethernet [D1,D3]
This is an onbard SiS900 LAN, What part of the info you want?
This is what I need.
Post by Alain
How can this help to know if the drivers are redistributable? If you
want the drivers, I can send tehm, that is easy, I just have to make a
Zip...
A zip would be nice...

Bernd Blaauw
2005-07-26 17:45:27 UTC
Post by Blair Campbell
Hi. I am requesting that everyone with a little spare time and a PCI
network card that works with a clearly redistributable packet driver
(in the licence, like a crynwr packet driver), to email me their
PCIsleep output and either tell me what driver it works with if it is
in the crynwr packet driver collection, or e-mail me the driver if it
is not, but it is clearly redistributable according to its licence.
could you provide a VERY simple bootdisk image with a testing
application which uses a packet driver?
Not Arachne please, I can't get it to work somehow.

something like:

@echo off
pcisleep -v
set wattcp.cfg=a:\wattcp.cfg
rem your packet driver here
ping.exe www.freedos.org

kernel.sys (www.fdos.org/kernel)
command.com (www.fdos.org/kernel)
pcisleep.exe (somewhere on Eric's site)
wattcp.cfg (still curious about contents)
ne2000.com (or whatever packet drivers)
ping.exe (where to obtain this ping.exe prog?)
Post by Blair Campbell
This will help me to add netcard autosetup to my FreeDOS installation
CD, and may make it easier for users to set up their DOS on the
internet.
I've tried the 100MB ISO that was uploaded, but can't get many things to
work. Did you try on a modern machine or VMware/Bochs/QEMU?
COMPINFO for example has a TP 'over 200Mhz' bug, EMM386 likes to crash, etc.

My router isn't configured for DHCP it seems, but 192.168.1.??? will
also work.

I'm very impressed now that I've booted the ISO actually :)
I hope you ask people to also test with the generic ne2000 packet
driver, as quite some network interface cards are ne2000 compatible.

pcntpk int=0x60 reports for me
"My ethernet address is 00:0c:29:66:__:__"
(sorry, I'm not publishing MAC address entirely :) )

This is PCISLEEP by Eric Auer 12mar2005 - Free open source software.
Read GNU General Public License 2 at www.gnu.org

PCI BIOS version 2.10, highest bus number is 1.
Interfaces: 10 is OHCI for USB/FireWire, 20 is EHCI for USB 2.0, etc.
Bridges: 'from bus X to Y (subordinate Z)' shown as '[XX->YY(ZZ)]'
Power Management support shown as: D1 idle, D2 halt, D3 soft-off

bus.device(.function) [vendor:model] classcode(/iface) vendor class
[details]
BusDevF vend:type class vendor description...
00.00 [8086:7190] 0600 Intel CPU host bridge
00.01 [8086:7191] 0604 Intel PCI bridge [00->01]
00.07.0 [8086:7110] 0601 Intel ISA bridge
00.07.1 [8086:7111] 0101/8a Intel IDE controller
00.07.2 [8086:7112] 0c03 Intel USB controller
00.07.3 [8086:7113] 0680 Intel southbridge / ACPI?
00.0f [15ad:0405] 0300 VMWare VGA graphics
00.10 [104b:1040] 0100 BusLogic SCSI controller
00.11 [1022:2000] 0200 AMD LAN / Ethernet
00.12 [1274:1371] 0401 Ensoniq audio
PCI bus scan done.
ACPI I/O base 1000 (guess, config reg. 40 of 00.07.3 device).
Post by Blair Campbell
Thanks,
Blair Campbell
Bernd

PS: can wattcp.cfg be cut down any further?
only first 5 entries needed?

my_ip = 192.168.1.123
hostname = "vmbbl"
netmask = 255.255.255.0
nameserver = 192.168.1.1.
gateway = 192.168.1.1

domain_to = 0 ; optional
domain_recurse = 0 ; optional
dynamic_host = 0 ; optional
sockdelay=90 # Increase delay from default of 30 seconds
inactive = 0 ; optional
datatimeout = 120 ; optional
debug = 0
mss = 512 ; optional
mtu = 552 ; optional
mtu_disc = 0 ; optional
icmp_mask_req = 0 ; optional

debug.file = $(HOME)\lynx.dbg
debug.filter = none

debug.proto = arp/rarp/ip/udp/tcp/icmp

debug.mode = all

debug.stat = 0 ; optional

debug.dns = 1 ; default is 1

debug.rtp = 1 ; default is 1

sk_debug.device = $(HOME)/sockwatt.dbg

sk_debug.openmode = tw+ ; default

bind.hostaliases = $(HOSTALIASES) ; optional

bind.res_options = $(RES_OPTIONS) ; optional

syslog.file = ; optional

syslog.host = ; optional

syslog.port = 514 ; optional

syslog.level = emerg/alert/error ; optional

tftp.boot_file = ; optional

tftp.server = ; optional

tftp.timeout = 8 ; optional

tftp.retry = 5 ; optional

tftp.mode = octet ; optional

tftp.port = 0 ; optional

http.proxy = your.http.proxy:<port> ; no default

#
# Michael Ringe's TALK client/server
#
talk.localuser = <your signature/handle>
talk.screenmode = autocr,split
talk.colors = 1E,1A,71,71,71
talk.alias = joe:***@some.domain.com
talk.logfile = $(WATTCP.CFG)\talk\talk.log
talk.message = "%s is busy. Try again later.\n"

#
# SNUZ nntp client by
# Doug McDonald (***@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
#
snuz.tmpdir = $(TEMP)
snuz.rc = $(ETC)\news\snuz.rc ; list of subscribed groups, etc
snuz.active = $(ETC)\news\active ; list of all groups
snuz.host = news.server.com ; news server ipaddr
snuz.from = ***@some.domain.com ; the user's email-address
snuz.editor = edit.exe ; editor for writing posts
snuz.smtp = "popmail send %H %D %f" ; external sendmail program

#
# SMB Printer daemon 0.94 by
# Ken Yap (***@syd.dit.csiro.au)
#
smbpd.workgroup = "my-work-group"
smbpd.printer1name = "my-printer-at-lpt1"
smbpd.printer2name = "my-printer-at-lpt2"
smbpd.printer3name = "my-printer-at-lpt3"

#
# Erick Engelke's SMTP-server
#
smtp.subdir = $(ETC)\smtpd\mail\ ; sub-dir for mail/temp files, must
exist
smtp.sessions = 8 ; # of SMTP sessions
Blair Campbell
2005-07-26 18:04:59 UTC
Post by Bernd Blaauw
could you provide a VERY simple bootdisk image with a testing
application which uses a packet driver?
Not Arachne please, I can't get it to work somehow.
Sure
Post by Bernd Blaauw
I've tried the 100MB ISO that was uploaded, but can't get many things to
work. Did you try on a modern machine or VMware/Bochs/QEMU?
QEMU, a P133, and a 386sx
Post by Bernd Blaauw
COMPINFO for example has a TP 'over 200Mhz' bug, EMM386 likes to crash, etc.
Didn't know about compinfo bug, EMM386 works for me.
Post by Bernd Blaauw
I'm very impressed now that I've booted the ISO actually :)
I hope you ask people to also test with the generic ne2000 packet
driver, as quite some network interface cards are ne2000 compatible.
good idea
Post by Bernd Blaauw
pcntpk int=0x60 reports for me
Which net card is this?
Read GNU General Public License 2 at www.gnu.org
[...]
Thanks
Post by Bernd Blaauw
PS: can wattcp.cfg be cut down any further?
only first 5 entries needed?
The next WIP ISO already has a vastly cut down wattcp.cfg, but the
original wattcp.cfg in the previous versions is included for reference
Robert Riebisch
2005-07-26 18:16:33 UTC
Post by Blair Campbell
Post by Bernd Blaauw
pcntpk int=0x60 reports for me
Which net card is this?
I think, he's talking about "AMD PCnet-PCI II" in VMware's virtual
machine:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/doc/intro_vmspec_ws.html#wp1001605

Robert Riebisch
--
BTTR Software
http://www.bttr-software.de/
Alain
2005-07-26 18:32:17 UTC
Post by Bernd Blaauw
could you provide a VERY simple bootdisk image with a testing
application which uses a packet driver?
Not Arachne please, I can't get it to work somehow.
the best simple test is WatTcp's PING. That is what I use for simple
tests and it is already in the FreeDOS networ floppy.

My system is far more complicated...
Post by Bernd Blaauw
I've tried the 100MB ISO that was uploaded, but can't get many things to
work. Did you try on a modern machine or VMware/Bochs/QEMU?
COMPINFO for example has a TP 'over 200Mhz' bug, EMM386 likes to crash, etc.
I have been using in Pentium IV of over 3GHz. No speed problem *with the
drivers*
Post by Bernd Blaauw
I hope you ask people to also test with the generic ne2000 packet
driver, as quite some network interface cards are ne2000 compatible.
I haven't seen a NE2000 NIC for a long time ;-)
Post by Bernd Blaauw
PS: can wattcp.cfg be cut down any further?
only first 5 entries needed?
FWIK wattcp.cfg can be cut down to a bere minimum. Only What is used
needs to be there.
Post by Bernd Blaauw
my_ip = 192.168.1.123
netmask = 255.255.255.0
gateway = 192.168.1.1
I remember using with only these 2 or 3 lines :)

Alain
Johnson Lam
2005-07-27 01:45:24 UTC
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:32:17 -0300, you wrote:

Hi,
Post by Alain
Post by Bernd Blaauw
Not Arachne please, I can't get it to work somehow.
the best simple test is WatTcp's PING. That is what I use for simple
tests and it is already in the FreeDOS networ floppy.
No idea why Bernd fail to run Arachne, just a packet driver and the
program (or WatTCP utils)

I've successfully put Arachne to work with my Realtek 8139C, of course
it's slowly than FireFox, but it works.

Just want to know any other application can work on packet driver,
running DOS TCPIP much more simpler to fire up Windows, loading
hundreds of drivers .

Rgds,
Johnson.
Mark Bailey
2005-07-26 19:30:22 UTC
Read GNU General Public License 2 at www.gnu.org
PCISLEEP - where can I get this from?
I just downloaded it from:
http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/stuff/soft/

Now, did I beat Eric providing the answer? :-)

Mark
tom ehlert
2005-07-26 19:35:42 UTC
Read GNU General Public License 2 at www.gnu.org
PCISLEEP - where can I get this from?
www.google.com (as did I just 5 minutes ago)

tom
Johnson Lam
2005-07-27 02:26:44 UTC
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:35:39 -0700, you wrote:

Hi Blair,
Post by Blair Campbell
This will help me to add netcard autosetup to my FreeDOS installation
CD, and may make it easier for users to set up their DOS on the
internet.
Thanks.

IMO, you can prepare some popular cards such as REALTEK and 3COM.

I've no idea about the legal way to distribute, but I remember most of
the drivers can be redistributed without any modification. Or someone
live in US please suggest the "legal way".

Rgds,
Johnson.