[Freedos-devel] I resubscribed!
Gregory Pietsch
2017-06-01 22:06:40 UTC
I resubscribed to the list to participate in Jim Hall's GNUish project.

I realize that I haven't upgraded edlin since 2010. I have the sources
for 2.15 but Sourceforge locked me out of the project for some reason
and I haven't been able to log in there. Anyway, it is rated 5 stars out
of 5. ;-)

If anyone has anything they would like to contribute for edlin, send me
your sources as I am the new (old) maintainer!

I sent Jim Hall my version of the Unix command 'cat' for the GNUish
project.

The cat command concatenates files and prints them to standard output.

-b, --number-nonblank Number all nonblank output lines, starting
with 1.

-e Equivalent to -vE.

-n, --number Number all output lines, starting with 1.

-s, --squeeze-blank Replace multiple adjacent blank lines with a
single blank line.

-t Equivalent to -vT.

-u Ignored; for Unix compatability.

-v, --show-nonprinting Display control characters except for
linefeed and tab using '^' notation and
precede characters that have the high
bit set
with 'M-'.

-A, --show-all Equivalent to -vET.

-E, --show-ends Display a '$' after the end of each line.

-T, --show-tabs Display tab characters as '^I'.

--help Print a usage message and exit with a
non-zero status.

--version Print version information on standard output
then exit.

On systems like MS-DOS that distinguish between text and binary files,
'cat' normally reads and writes in binary mode. However, 'cat' reads in
text
mode if one of the options '-bensAE' is used or if 'cat' is reading from
standard input and standard input is a terminal. Similarly, 'cat'
writes in
text mode if one of the options '-bensAE' is used or if standard output
is a
terminal.

Gregory
Rugxulo
2017-06-05 20:47:07 UTC
Post by Gregory Pietsch
I resubscribed to the list to participate in Jim Hall's GNUish project.
Welcome back! :-)
Post by Gregory Pietsch
I realize that I haven't upgraded edlin since 2010.
(Horrible joke omitted. Bad pun and then some, ugh.)
Post by Gregory Pietsch
I have the sources for 2.15 but Sourceforge locked me out of the project for some reason and I
haven't been able to log in there.
Are you sure you meant "2.15" [sic]? It seems it's already available:

* https://sourceforge.net/projects/freedos-edlin/files/freedos-edlin/2.15/
* http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/edlin/

I'll mirror anything newer to iBiblio for you/us, if you need it.

Anyways, they are under new management, and (IIRC) asked people to
change passwords for security reasons. I'm sure you could nag someone
there to help you. Or try this:

* https://sourceforge.net/auth/forgotten_password
* https://sourceforge.net/auth/recovery_support
Post by Gregory Pietsch
Anyway, it is rated 5 stars out of 5. ;-)
No comment! :-)
Post by Gregory Pietsch
If anyone has anything they would like to contribute for edlin, send me your
sources as I am the new (old) maintainer!
I haven't used it lately, no. So I can only come up with (absurdly
sarcastic) feature requests. ;-)